Content Management Systems
WordPress is the winner in the CMS category, beating out Joomla, Dotnetnuke and Drupal and many others. Reasons why include:
- It’s the largest on the planet, with the largest number of users and largest developer community as a result
- The public chose the platform for its ease of use, intuitive nature and to put it simply, the fun factor
- The sheer numbers has made it attractive to developers
- While Joomla is a technically more advanced CMS, its lack of ease-of-use has rendered it less attractive to the general public
- Where WordPress falls behind technically, it’s offset with the greater capacities of developers filling the void. As a result, WordPress as a whole is more technically advanced
- WordPress also is outpacing the other CMS’ and has momentum on its side
WordPress + WooCommerce is the winner in this department. Its alternatives include: Magento, Joomla + VirtueMart, OsCommerce, BigCartel and PrestaShop. Reasons as to why:
- Once again, WordPress and WooCommerce have the largest developer community as a result of its large user-base.
- While Magento is technically advanced, it has an extremely steep learning curve which will only cause companies to stagnate.
- As a result of a new development team, Joomla + VirtueMart lacks too many base-level features and is now unviable.
- WordPress + WooCommerce is now the easiest to learn and use, and has the capacity for increased functionality from its large developer community.