By default, if Outlook or another email client software is installed, they will be the first ‘handler’ for any mailto links. As such, when someone clicks on a link to ‘share a post via email’, this email will most likely be sent from that software instead of GMail.
In order to fix this, the first thing we’ll need to do is setup the ‘handler’ setting for Chrome:
- Click on the triple bars on the top right hand corner
- Click on the ‘Settings’ button
- Scroll to the bottom and click on ‘Show advanced settings…’
- Under the Privacy tab, click ‘Content settings…’ button
- Under the Handler title, make sure ‘Allow sites to become default handlers for protocols (recommended)’ is selected
Next thing is to setup the actual handler:
- Login to your GMail and let it fully load
- There should be a double diamond icon in the URL bar, please click it
- Select the Use Gmail radio button.
When you click a hyperlinked email address on a page, Gmail’s compose window will now open!