This stage should be completed on a clean PC.
- Visit https://www.malwarebytes.org/chameleon/
- Click ‘Download’
- Select a download location. (desktop is optimal)
- Double Click on the downloaded .zip file
- Drag the ‘Windows’ folder out of the .zip file onto the desktop
- Drag the folder you just ‘unzipped’ to a USB
The next stage should be completed on the infected PC.
Run on Startup
- Restart the computer and boot in Safe Mode with Networking
- To boot in Safe Mode:
- As soon as the PC is restarted, continually press F8, your pc should display a screen with the following options: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt etc.If the screen does not appear, restart the computer and repeat step 2.
Note: on some PCs the key may be F5 instead of F8
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to ‘Safe Mode with Networking‘ and press enter when it is highlighted
- Navigate to the USB stick once the computer has started up in Safe Mode.
- Open the chameleon.chm file and follow the prompts.
- If chameleon.chm does not open, run each file (except mbam-killer) until one of them remains open and then follow the prompts, Malware Bytes should be installed if done correctly.
- Once installed, Malware Bytes will attempt to update, click OK when it is successful.
- Allow Malware Bytes to run a scan, if a threat is detected allow Malware Bytes to remove any threats and then reboot your PC.